15 September 2010

How Many Plastic Bags Are in Your Collection?

I don't know about you, but we use plastic store bags like crazy around here. We use them as trash bin liners, car trash bags, dirty nappy bags, etc. Of course, we still never get to the bottom of our stash as they just seem to multiply, so for some stores, we have started using the reusable bags, but we still seem to accumulate a ton of them. Here is an easy, convenient way to keep a few with you without taking up a ton of space.

Step 1: Lay the bag flat.
Fold in half lengthwise...
...and fold in half again.
Step 2: Working from the opposite side of the handle, fold a corner up.
Continue to fold "flag style" until you are almost to the end.
Step 3: Take the flap that you have left and tuck it into the back flap.
That's it! You will have a small triangle-looking thing when you're done.
Now, make a bunch while you watch your favourite TV show (I LOVE Psych on the USA network... don't even get me started!!!)
Now, they are easy to stash without all the bulk of just crumpling so when you need a quick trash bag (or you've just taken your doggie for a walk in the park and he's left a little surprise), you are ready! Put them in your purse, nappy bag, glove compartment, wallet, kid's back packs, emergency kits, junk drawer, on the boat, etc.

19 comments:

  1. Great idea! And wonderful tut. Thanks for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's handy! Thanks for the idea. I'm following you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genius! Love this idea! We have so many of these bags and they take up a ton of room. What a great way to store them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have actually gotten to the bottom of my stash a couple of times (I had THREE in diapers or pull-ups at the same time). Good way to keep them in the diaper bag.... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a ton of those things. You're right the supply never seems to end. That's a really good idea. I'll have to fold a few of them up for those dog walks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! I cannot count the number of times I was out and about and thought, "Oh, I wish I had a plastic bag about now." It is so surprising how often you find you can use them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK now this is brilliant! Having learned to fold a flag in girl scouts in this very way, I can't believe i never thought to transfer the technique to other things! Thank you so much for sharing this simple and very useful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for sharing! I also have a seemingly endless supply of plastic bags. I always say I'm going to knit them together to make reusable shopping bags but never do, so I'll try this approach instead :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I keep a stash of reusable shopping bags in the car and I still have plastic bags even though I use my reusable shopping bags 100% of the time! I guess that has more to do with that we keep and reuse plastic bread bags, frozen veggie bags, etc. for our dog so my plastic bag holder is full of those bags instead of shopping bags.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nifty site! Love the articles you have written and the great pics showing how to do them.
    Check my blog out too. I always comment back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. great! I carry one in my purse bound by a binder clip... this is much better! thanks!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its always the simple things that have the bigest impact...Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wierd. I fold plastic the same way you do. Haha, cheers

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing a beautiful and creative blog, and I"d like to pass along a 'versatile blogger' award to you...check out the details here: http://mangocallalily.blogspot.com/2010/10/versatile-blogger-award.html

    Have a wonderful day!!
    ~Kristin :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sat here at 23:45 folding all my plastic bags because this is truly an awesome idea (I do however think it has caused a problem as I now won't want to go to bed until they are all done!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I fold plastic bags the same way, too!! When we had a yard sale, people look at me like crazy (they told me, i had so much time in my hands to fold plastic bags). But it takes a little space and it's more organized. And I keep a stash with me. Even in our car.. =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails