04 December 2009

Christmas Book Advent Calendar

Our third advent calendar is a tradition we started a few years ago and will continue, hopefully for the rest of our lives! Every year, we wrap 25 books, number them, then open and read one a day 'till Christmas. We didn't have 25 Christmas books, so we chose anything with a winter theme or even just a family favourite to open toward the beginning of the month. I add to our holiday book collection in the after-Christmas sales and hide the new ones in the decoration boxes so they're surprises the following year. This has worked great so far... I don't know what I'll do when I actually have 25 Christmas books! We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. This year, I used the Cricut (Cuttin' Up and Accent Essentials cartridges) to make cute labels for them. My daughter had the idea to use math equations instead of numbers, but as she is only in Kindergarten, I thought we were getting a little ahead of ourselves... maybe next year. This year, I just placed the books in the basket in random numerical order and I let her search for the number of the day. I hope this instills a love of reading, family traditions and the spirit of Christmas in our children... at the very least, I hope they remember their geeky mom trying to make Christmas more meaningful.

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see that tradition of yours is still going strong, despite having two active one year olds to contend with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! - Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is hands down the coolest idea for an advent tradition I have ever heard of! Now I wish I were 10 and lived at your house!

    You are making Christmas magic and fabulous memories.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails