04 July 2009

Fourth of July: Fun with Food

How's that for "F" words? This year for Independence Day, we had a block party in our cul-de-sac and it was so fun. I was charged with bringing the chips and salsa, but I couldn't let it rest at just that. There were too many other great ideas floating around out there so along with the chips and salsa, we made:

Red, White and Blueberry sticks. Well, Abs did at least. It was so great to have her contribute with something she could do all by herself and they turned out so great... of course she was done (and by done, I mean, DONE) by about 7 of them, but still she was so proud of her contribution. Thank you Marie at Make and Takes for that great idea!

Rice Krispie Treat Cones. This was my own invention. I love using Rice Krispie treats for everything because they're quick, easy and delicious. Also, you can trick yourself into believing they're just a little bit good for you because of all the vitamin-enriched cereal. Just add food coloring to the melted marshmallow mixture before adding the cereal. I used a greased ice-cream scoop and my own greased hands to form the balls on the tops of the cones. Then, I sprinkled the tops... everything looks more festive with sprinkles! I think they turned out rather well. have also used Rice Krispie Treats with various shaped Bundt pans with great success!

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails