25 September 2007

Personalized, Embroidered Pillows


A friend's 13 year old daughter was embroidering a pillow when I was at their home one day. I had been looking for something to make people for Christmas presents this year and thought they'd be perfect! She taught me basic stitches in about five minutes (you can find easy directions all over the internet) and I was ready to go! I started with a 10 1/2 by 10 1/2 square of light colored fabric and traced a 9 square grid on to the right side of the fabric lightly with a pencil. I then drew or traced from clip art a little icon or symbol that represented something special or important to the recipient in each square. I finished each pillow with fabrics in colors I thought each person would like and inserted a store-bought pillow form. I was really pleased with the results... and they were so simple, though a bit time consuming. The most difficult part was trying to find 9 different things to embroider in the squares.

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea :). For some of the kids in my life, I could do 9 things from one theme (ie, Pokemon, video games, sea creatures). You could also take this idea and make bed-pillow pillowcases.

    Glenda

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails